Thursday, July 30, 2009

$10.50

My mom offered to treat my girls and I to a movie on Sunday. We saw the Disney movie G-Force. Ya know...Guinea pigs can talk & they save the world? That one. It was cute...the girls seemed to enjoy it plenty. We saw it before noon, and our local theater does tickets for $5 before noon...so it wasn't too expensive to get us all in, plus the little one doesn't need to be paid for yet.

We got everyone settled, and I went out to get the girls some popcorn. My dad followed me out, also to get popcorn for himself & a water for my mom. Corn & water. Two of the cheapest commodities on the planet. He paid $10.50 for a bottle of water, and a "small" popcorn (which seemed rather large to me). For $11.75 I got a small popcorn and a large drink. That I'm used to...I just find it rather amazing at the markup that goes into some products. CORN AND WATER, FOLKS!! It's CRAZY. I hardly ever get to go to the movies. I've been a couple of times this summer because of the summer movie camp that AMC hosts.

I might make more of an effort to go if I knew I wasn't spending more for corn & a sugary carbonated beverage than I do to feed my whole family at a fast food joint! (The girls and I eat at CiCi's Pizza for just under $11.) Although, I will say Kudos to Regency's theater management...they DO allow you to bring in outside food. There are even advertisements on the windows of the nearby restaurants that say, "Bring our food into the movie!" All those years of sneaking Dr. Peppers & peanut M&Ms...and there was no need to sneak, lol. :)

4 comments:

Hieronymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. I get REALLY annoyed at the price of food in cinemas. We usually just grab something to eat first, because the fact that a hot dog costs £5 or whatever just pisses me off. I'm trying to train Matt out of buying the largest drink just because it's proportionately cheaper. It is, but it's also way more than we can drink over the course of a film, which means a lot of it goes to waste.

Mouse said...

Usually we take sweets for us both, and Chris takes a bottle of water. I buy a drink there, but get the smallest one.

Maegan said...

The walgreens pharmacy sells "movie" candy. It comes in a box just like at the movie theater...it's probably a tad smaller serving than at the movies, but you can get them 3/$3. MUCH cheaper. When I took the girls to the movie camp, I would stop into walgreens first...I got them candy, and I already had juice boxes or Capri Sun pouches in my bad...and I would usually grab a carbonated drink of some kind for myself. I still bought popcorn at the theater itself...the movie was smack in between breakfast & lunch...and once we were home it took a bit to get lunch fixed up, so I thought the popcorn was a decent enough snack to keep them from feeling starved while waiting for me to fix lunch.

Acci said...

I wonder if the cinema would object to you bringing in your own microwave to pop your own popcorn, or would that be abusing their "bring your own snacks" policy a bit too flagrantly?

;-)