Monday, March 1, 2010

Remember that time...

I am sort of stealing this idea from another blog (where my response was very similar to what you'll read here)...but I think she just put it into words so I could expound a little better on it myself.

Anecdotes. We've all got them...especially from our pre-child days. Wild tales, midnight adventures, and big big drama.

As a mom? Now...not so much. I mean the most I've got is, "I was at Panera the other day, and while I was putting the straw into the organic chocolate milk carton..." Eh...you get the idea.

Will we ever have those fun anecdotes again where we're laughing so hard we can hardly finish the phrase, "So when the POLICE showed up..."?

The worst anecdotes are the ones where you realize partway through that this is one of those, "I guess you had to be there," moments. You desperately try to find a way out in your head, maybe embellish the story a little. Don't DO IT! Just pretend you got a call on your cell...everyone will be so grateful you've stopped talking that they won't bring it up again! You'll be home free.

2 comments:

Nettie said...

Yeah, I tend to find that the majority of mine seem to be the 'you had to be there' types...

Maegan said...

Those are almost worse than not having any anecdotes, haha. But then maybe the "mystery" behind the constant, "Naah, ya had to be there." comments might make you a little mysterious. ?